Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Free for All: Winner or Loser?


FFA Topic of the Week: What is something you are completely fantastic at, and what is something you are really crappy at?

So last night, we'd just gone to bed, and I asked Ellis what was something I was really good at. After a minute, he said, "You're really good at making stuff." Curious, I said, "What kind of stuff?" And because the man can fall asleep within seconds of getting into bed, I guess I was lucky to even get an answer. Before drifting off, he kind of mumbled, "You know, poster boards."

So I lay there thinking, "Poster boards? What in the crap is he talking about? Is he already asleep??" His response kind of made me laugh for the next 10 minutes, but then I thought, I guess I have made some pretty impressive things on poster boards.

I have made large Frog Prince posters for Larrin and Marley's princess birthday parties so they could play "Kiss the Frog." I've made baby shower games, yard sale signs, YW posters, displays of authors and their works for my English classes, and some pretty killer candybar posters.

So there you have it, folks. Where do my talents lie? In the posterboard arts.

Now, what am I crappy at? The thing that comes to mind most at the moment is my complete lack of ability in the garden and/or yard. When it comes to growing things (other than weeds), I'm a complete mess. Every plant I've ever owned has come to an unfortunate and ugly death.

Now that we own a house with a yard, I've gotten ambitious to make the yard look nice and plant a garden. It has taken me weeks and weeks to weed all the flower beds, and now that I've gotten that done, all the freaking weeds have grown back. Argghhh!!

I was at Costco a month ago looking at fertilizer. Do I buy the one with just plain weed killer, or the one that kills crabgrass? Do I have crabgrass? I don't know. I look at the picture of crabgrass and think, "That doesn't look like anything we have in our grass." So, I purchase the regular weed killer, bring it home, and take a look at our yard. Yep, we have crabgrass.

I planted a little garden, and I was kind of proud of myself. Then, when Peggy and her family were at our house a while ago, her husband Scott says to me, "Have you ever planted watermelon before?"

A bit warily, I anwer, "Uh, no. Why?" Apparently, watermelon needs A LOT of room to grow. More than the one foot I gave it? I guess so.

Then this morning, I put the ol' sprinkler on the little garden. When we got back home at 9:30 tonight, I remembered about the sprinkler. Yep, it had been on ALL day. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that's not really good for a garden.

So yeah, I'm a bit horticulturally-challenged. It's something I keep trying to combat, but I think it's time to just admit it. I suck.

13 comments:

Peggy said...

I want you to know that I've been waiting up to read your post. I have to be at the church at 6AM to do flags tomorrow morning, but I'm hanging on just for you.
While I do agree with Ellis that you make excellent poster boards (I consider myself something on an expert, having been blessed to be on the receiving end of a couple of those beauties) you really were foolish to think you could have any sort of conversation with Ellis before going to sleep. I'm pretty sure Scott falls asleep BEFORE his head hits the pillow, which sucks for me because the snoring IMMEDIATELY ensues and I lay in bed, exhausted but unable to sleep because of the logger next to me. Have mercy.

Jami said...

Yes, good point. I knew it was madness to bring up anything important like the weekly FFA topic after he was already in bed.

Laurie said...

Lol! I'm loving your mad poster-board skills!

And even more than that? ...The lack of gardening skills. I am also horticulturally challenged. I can kill anything green just by looking at it. It's a tragedy, really, because I LOVE all things green and leafy (not to mention flowers). But I can't keep them alive to save my soul, whether they're indoor or outdoor plants, they're dead w/in a couple weeks (and that's if I'm lucky). It's ridiculous.

PS ~ Love the picture of the giant thistle. Geez Louise, I had no idea they could get that big! Holy Moses, how did you get that thing out of the ground? Sheesh...

Amanda said...

And here I was thinking that you were perfect at everything.

Keep up with the gardening, it's so rewarding when you finally get the hang of it.

I'll remember that you're the one to call when a poster is needed.

Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter said...

Although you are really really good at a lot of things (literary crap, cooking crap, using the word crap). I would have to say that you are best at air taebo. It's a cross between air guitar and taebo and you do it a lot when I am around. If they have such a thing for taebo, I would have to say you are a black belt or at least a dusky charcoal belt. What I am best at is dirty dancing, just kidding. I am best at what Kristy calls the "stash and dash." Kristy will call me to say that her bridge club has decided to meet at our house tonight and before they get there I have thrown everything into the upstairs closet. Kristy will ask me where all the stuff went and often I am in such a zone that I won't know where I put the stuff. Though sometimes we have found things as far removed as the neighbors attic. What I am worst at is impulse control, like the time I had a big U shaved in the back of my head, ran full force down big rock candy mountain or brought home a pallet of computer monitors (22 in all, much to Kristy's dismay).

Debra Darling said...

I made a poster board just last night and I think it would receive your gold star.

Hmmmm. I've never seen the air guitar. Now I really think we need to find Guitar Hero for our Family Reunion.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

(I, like Peggy, have a logger and it used to bring me to tears on a regular basis until I invested in ear plugs and got used to the dang things in my ears. So, I too, laughed at your attempt to have a discussion with Ellis "after hours" because I've done the same thing, over the FFA topic even.

I think I definately want a poster for my bedroom made by our very own Jami Bliss Jensen!

Jenni said...

Horticulturally challenged? It isn't everyone who can grow a 5 foot weed!

ajensen said...

jami,

your blog is fantastic. i was cracking up reading half of the posts . Sounds like you are doing well...

except for that dadgum garden!

This is Amber (haynie).

Amanda said...

Jami, where are you? We miss you. Please come back!

Jenni Coberly said...

I second that we miss you!! I hope you are off having fun somewhere. If not, that get yourself back on your blog for heck sakes!!

Flynnur said...

Posterboard skills are not only underestimated in today's high-tech mileu, they have nearly become a lost art. It is reassuring to know that in the day of cyber gift giving and the like (e.g., nano pets, virtual hugs, etc.), there remain those true proficients who are skilled in the poster arts. So let me just say, it brings me almond joy and no, I am not snickering. At all.

Ethington Family said...

Jami Bliss- It has been way to long. How are you, other than really good at poster board art (I loved that by the way). I am always asking brett to tell me something he thinks i'm good at or likes about me. I figure it they don't come out and say it, you have the right to ask.
I love the key lime yogurt (but only the thick and creamy too). I just wanted to say hi though and tell you how fun it was to see your blog. Well take care and keep in touch!
mary morley ethington