Friday, September 26, 2008

FFA: Super Powers


Friday Free for All Topic of the Week: If you could have ANY super power (either good or evil) what would it be?

When I asked Ellis what super power he would like to have, he said, “Being rich.”

“Uh, dude, that’s not a super power.” Poor guy. I think he’s getting tired of the poverty and 90-hour work weeks.

So then I decided that my super power would be something like Samantha’s on Bewitched. You know, how she blinks her eyes a couple of times, and the whole house is clean, dinner’s on the table, and she’s wearing a sporty new ensemble. I don’t know if that would make me more of a witch than a super hero, but either way, I figure it’s appropriate.

I think this decision was based on the fact that lately I feel like I’m living in a refugee camp or something. Toys and clothes and shoes and bits of surreptitiously-placed food and papers strewn all over the place with no one making any efforts to take care of it but me.

But then I made the mistake of checking out Peggy’s blog this morning . . . something I don’t usually do until I’ve posted my own FFA . . . only to find that SHE had already claimed Samantha’s powers. Crap.

But, you know, I figured, that Samantha was always getting into some sort of mad-cap situation or misunderstanding with Darrin, and really, I don’t need that hassle.

So, now I’ve narrowed it down to two possibilities:

1. The power of illusion (like Candice on Heroes): being able to alter the perceptions of others. Okay, so here’s the beauty of this one – no more exercising, I can eat what I want, and who needs a clean house? I’ll be sitting on the beach in a size 2 bikini eating chocolate bon-bons.

2. Adoptive Muscle Memory (like Monica on Heroes): the ability to replicate any physical action after seeing it performed. Okay, how cool would that be? Learn to do anything just by watching? I could be a concert pianist, Olympic gymnast, maybe even learn how to swim with my head in the water. The options are limitless.

I don’t know which one would be better. With option #1, I could make everything (including myself) look the way I wanted, but I wouldn’t know how to do anything. With option #2, I’d still have to clean the house. But I could probably win the Tour de France, right?


Final decision? Still undecided. Which would you choose?


**UPDATE** After a deep discussion on the matter, Ellis and I both decided that the Muscle Memory power would be way cooler than any other power. I mean, yeah, it would be nice to look like you're in shape with no effort on your part, but we both figured we'd end up being lazy slugs with that kind of power. With the Muscle Memory one, we talked about endless things that you could learn to do, and how amazing that would be. Of course, we questioned whether what you've learned fades over time, or if you'd always be able to do it. I say that you will always be able to do whatever you've learned.

7 comments:

Jenni said...

Uh, yeah....I'm thinking Samantha's not exactly a super power. And I haven't read Peggy's post, so unless she's got a REALLY good defense on the subject, I'm going to slam that one down.

I'm liking the illusion one. But would you ever get to the point where the inconsistency (har, har) got to you? Kind of like having the main rooms in the house clean, but knowing that your closets and cupboards are a total disaster? Uh....if I could be a size 2, probably not, huh.

Missy said...

It's so good to be able to stalk you on a nice blog =). You guys look great, I can't believe how big the girls are. I'm excited to see how things are going now!!

Jami said...

Yeah, Jen, Ellis and discussed that very thing actually, about everything just being an illusion. And would that really be as satisfactory? I mean, some things, yeah, but overall, it wouldn't be as good as the muscle memory.

Jami said...

Missy! I'm so glad you found me! You are welcome to stalk me anytime.

Joey said...

I vote for the muscle memory thing. I really need that. So would that mean that I could sing and dance like anyone I watched? What about cooking? does that take muscle memory? And isn't the brain a muscle? So could my brain perform like anyone's that I see? the possibilities are endless...

Megan said...

Random departure from topic: :)

My cousin tagged me, and it sounded like a great way to get to know people better. Now I've tagged you! :D

Here are the rules: Link the person who tagged you. Mention the rules on your blog. Tell 6 unspectacular quirky things about you or your family. Tag 6 fellow bloggers by linking them. Leave a comment on each of the tagged bloggers' blogs letting them know they have been tagged.

Damian said...

you have a superpower. It's your hair. I remember making all sorts of things disappear in it when I sat behind you in classes.