Monday, March 3, 2008

Cereal and Road Rage


So, inspired by Peggy's latest post (which, by the way, is an extremely entertaining one. . . you should check it out) and her recent disparagement of my ability to post more often, I've decided to keep in tradition of almost all my other posts revolving around food and dedicate this one (at least in part) to what may possibly be the world's perfect food:


Yes, I'm talking about cold cereal. The reasons for its perfection are fourfold. 1) It is cold (thus its name) and makes milk taste good. 2) It can be eaten as a meal or a snack (just ask my 2-year-old [or her mother] during church). 3)It is relatively low in calories, so unless eaten by the boxful, you don't even have to feel guilty about eating it. At least, I don't usually feel guilty about it. 4) And this is maybe most important -- it is ready in mere seconds. You're walking through the kitchen late at night really craving a tasty snack to eat while you watch Arrested Development, but clearly you don't want to take the time or energy to make cookies (or run to the store for ice cream). You open the pantry, and BAM! There it is -- the answer to all your snack problems -- Cookie Crunch Cereal. Little cookies all ready for the eating in just the seconds it takes to pour them into your bowl.


And, as a subsection of reason #2, it can be eaten without milk. So if for some reason, someone (your spouse) has used up the last of the milk without telling you, and you've already poured said bowl of Cookie Crunch, you're still good to go. Those tiny cookies are just as happy to be eaten dry out of a cup.


There are rules, however, that must be followed when consuming cereal. Sugary cereal cannot be eaten for breakfast. It just can't. It's like eating donuts for breakfast. Sure, some of you may think that donuts were invented for that exact purpose, but you have been misled. Sugar that early in the morning will only make you sick. Okay, it makes me sick. And I really have no use for those gut-bloating breakfasts of pancakes, eggs, or waffles. Those sorts of meals were clearly meant to be for dinner (my husband may disagree, but I don't see him coming up with any ideas for dinner. And I know my dad has my back on this one).


So I really like those high-fiber bran flakey kind of cereals that I swore as a kid I would never eat when I got to live in my own house and buy my own cereal (Rice Krispies was about as sugary as it got in my house when I was growing up. I try not to rub that in to Ellis, though, whose "sugar cereal" consisted of cracked wheat.) Special K Red Berries is my personal favorite; although I love Total Bran Flakes, too. Weird, I know.


Now once you hit afternoon or evening, that's an entirely different matter. Especially if it's for a snack, then naturally, you need a good basic sugar cereal like Lucky Charms or Waffle Crisp cereal (have you tried that? It seriously tastes like waffles with butter and syrup. I don't know whose making that artificial flavoring, but all I have to say is, bravo.) This does complicate matters, however, when it comes to my children because they are not so discerning when it comes to the nutritious vs. sugar cereal choice in the mornings. The solution I have discovered? Hide the contraband sugar cereal. I really have no other options.


Best times in my house: when we eat cereal for dinner. (Did I mention it's ready immediately?) Hey, it's fortified with 12 essential vitamins, I'll have you know. Some days, it may just be the healthiest thing they eat.


Okay, and just a side commentary to the guy who was driving the Beef and Other Meats van this morning: was it really necessary to pull in front of me on the 215 on-ramp, then slam on your brakes, slow down to 30 mph, pull in front of me again when I moved into the other lane, and then yell obscenities at me and my virgin-eared children when I opted to go around you (okay, I may have also opted to use my freedom of speech/sound when I laid on the horn . . . ) Seriously, though, two bits of advice -- 1) If you're going to drive like a complete idiot and yell at potential customers (not that Beef and Other Meats from a van is as tempting as it may at first sound), maybe you should consider not doing it in the company van with your phone number listed in bold. 2)Do us a favor and consider getting some dental work done . . . just for those of us who have to see your chipped, gray/yellow teeth spitting flecks (of other meats?) on the window when you're cursing us as we drive by.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Now THAT'S more like it!!

Beeta said...

Jami, you are too funny!!! I love sugar cereal at any time of the day. I have to agree Lucky Charms, Waffle Crisp and Special K with red berries all have a special place in my heart. I'm glad you left a comment on my blog because I tried spelling Jami in everyway possible to find your blog with no luck (okay, I guess I didn't try the right way)! I'm glad I get to see you tomorrow!!!! We need to party soon.

Jenni Coberly said...

Hi, my name is Jenni and I have a cereal addiction. Ok, now I feel better. Yes, I too frequent the pantry looking for a little something that can be whipped up quickly. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Special K w/ berries. The berries freak me out a little. I would much rather have them fresh. Also, the charms in lucky charms feel weird in my mouth when I chew so I can't have those either, but I do love waffle crisp and Fruit Loops for my sugar cereals. I too much prefer the bran cereals....a few you must try if you haven't, Anything Kashi....I love the Kashi Crunch and the new Vive. Yummy and super good for you....lots of fiber and protein. Also, I've always loved Raisin Nut Bran, but it's a little high on the fat content. My new favorite is the Kashi Cinnamon Harvest. YUMMY!! Costco and Sams usually has them for a lot cheaper, also while you're there check out the Fiber One Granola Bars, if you haven't already. You won't be sorry. 9 grams of Fiber and super good!!

I could talk about food forever and I must blog more about it. Thank you for your post...I think I'll now go pour me a bowl of cereal.

Jami said...

Jen, thanks for all the cereal recommendations. Since you know how I feel about cereal (and ice cream, of course), I'm always up for new sources to get my fix. I really need to re-stock actually because currently we're running low on the late-evening variety.

Jenni Coberly said...

So, tell me about Arrested Development. Is it worth watching. After the first episode dropped the F bomb I wondered if it was worth it or if that word is a frequent one.....do tell. My better half is out of town and I desperately need something to watch!

Jami said...

Jen, I LOVE Arrested Development! Although, yes, we were surprised over the non-editing of the first episode, too. The rest of the episodes are all edited just like they were aired on TV. It is seriously the funniest show I've seen in a while (except for maybe Flight of the Conchords.

But another one I've been watching while I run on the treadmill is Veronica Mars which I have really liked. Have you seen it? I bet you would like that one, too.

Jenni Coberly said...

I'm so watching it tonight then. I'm glad that it gets better. If you love it, I'm sure I will. Ok, what it Flight of the Conchords? I've never even heard of it. I'm always up for a new series. I haven't seen Veronica Mars. I'll have to check that one out too. Thanks!

shana said...

Shana says that beef and other meats from a van are delicious and you shouldn't be so quick to judge. Oh, and Waffle Crisp is no good. It leaves a sugary greasy film on the roof of your mouth. Nasty.

shana said...

I have never read such a funny blog before. I may be becoming a regular.

It is common concencous (sp) that you MUST write a book. NOW. We would all buy it and love it and you would make a lot of money.

I am also an avid cold cereal fan which explains why it is 40% of our dry food storage. Can't be without it!

Jessica B.

Jami said...

Mike, did you write Shana's comment for her? And you're both crazy if you don't like Waffle Crisp. What have you got again waffles, anyway?

Jami said...

Um, I meant to say "against" waffles.

Also, I AM writing a book. You're all in it. (Hope you don't mind . . . and no, you won't be getting a percentage of the royalties.)

Laura F said...

Okay, I'm still totally laughing about your husband not coming with any ideas for dinner. So what's he complaining about, anyway??? We've had oven pancake more than once, with or without some kind of breakfast meat on the side... and often those nights are on paper plates, too. I think it tastes better that way. I've never purchased cookie crisp, but it's sounding like a really good evening snack right now!

I also love the kashi cereals - the cinnamon harvest *is* good, and we like the ones with the wheat puffs, too.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Okay, after reading about eating pancakes for dinner, I had to share.

Growing up we had Breakfast Dinners, as they became known as, almost every Sunday night. My mom would do waffles or pancakes with bacon, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, orange juice, you know, the standard. It was usually a Sunday thing because the ingredients were actually in the pantry, whereas the roast and potatoes were not.

As a newlywed, I was excited to carry on this tradition with my new spouse and so concocted a wonderful Breakfast Dinner of all the good stuff. The Result: He thought I was crazy - (after enjoying the banquet before him).

I am so glad to know I am not a member of the only family who eats breakfast for dinner. And try as I may, I just can't eat bacon or sausage before 11:00AM on any given day.

So, cold cereal it is. And I love it!

Jami said...

Carillisa, I always knew you were a girl after my own heart. That's how my family was growing up, too. My dad still prefers breakfast for dinner over anything else.