Monday, February 25, 2008

It's Oscar Night!




Okay, people, let's talk about the Oscars. I don't know why we have such a fascination with Oscar night, especially considering that we only saw two of the nominated movies this year (yes, that's right -- Ratatouille and Enchanted). But that never stops us from putting the kids to bed early, busting out the Jelly Bellies and popcorn, and hunkering down on the couch for a long night of awards, movie montages, and my continual frustration that the producers of the show refuse to let people finish their speeches. ("Oh, oh wait, the music's starting . . . uh, okay, uh, just one last thank you to my . . .[drowned out by music]")


Highlights of the show for me:


Jon Stewart -- one of the best and funniest Oscar hosts, with the exception of maybe only Ellen Degeneres (do you remember when she was vacuuming the carpet down on the front row of the audience saying, "I had no idea this would be part of my hosting duties"?)

Here are a few of my favorites from Jon (we're on a first name basis):

"Even Norbit got a nomination, which I think is great. Too often the Academy ignores movies that aren't good."

Responding to Javier Bardem delivering half his speech in Spanish, he said, "I took Spanish in high school. I believe he told his mother where the library was."

"They said that having the Oscars helped end the strike. So before we spend the next four to five hours giving each other golden statues, let's take a moment to congratulations ourselves."

Anton Chigur - "combining Hannibal Lecter's murderousness with Dorothy Hamill's wedgecut".

"In case you're wondering what we do in the commercial breaks, we sit here making catty remarks about the outfits you're wearing at home."

He told the audience that there were 3 pregnant women there tonight, and then opened an envelope to reveal that "the baby goes to . . . Angelina Jolie!"



Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard won best song ("Falling Slowly" -- very cool song), but Marketa was cut off by that blasted music before she could say a word. In what must have been an unprecedented event, Jon Stewart had her come back out on stage a bit later so that she could actually give her acceptance speech, which, by the way, was one of the best of the night. Bravo to Jon Stewart!




Javier Bardem gave a very cool acceptance speech. Plus, I love when the actors seem genuinely excited that they have won, yet are not too flustered to actually say something worthwhile . . . albeit, some of it in a language I don't speak. And let's face it, he's just really hot.



Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill were hilarious when they presented as "substitutes" for Halle Berry and Dame Judi Dench. They kept arguing over who was more "Halle Berry."


And just as a side note, I do love seeing the best and worst dressed of Hollywood. My top pics:

Best Dressed:
1. Jennifer Garner
2. Katherine Heigl
3. Penelope Cruz
4. Hillary Swank

Worst Dressed:
1. Anne Hathaway (what is up with the red Hawaiian lei draped across your chest?)
2. Diablo Cody (I'm glad she won, but clearly, this was her first time at the Academy Awards. I guess what can one expect from someone named after the Devil?)
3. Jennifer Hudson (There are dresses that are meant to accentuate the chest . . . but they aren't meant for women who clearly already have one.)
4. Tilda Swinton (Honey, wearing what looked like a black, satin toga was flattering to neither your complexion nor your figure.)

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Nope. Haven't seen it in years. I do occasionally check the online pictures of the dresses, though. I thought Heidi Klum looked phenomenal.

Jenni said...

I was watching American Idol (ugh) last night, and thought of your post. Simon and Paula were talking and got cut off by the music, and Simon said, "It's the Oscars!" It was pretty funny.

Jami said...

That's hilarious! I really should start watching American Idol. I feel really out of the loop because everyone else watches it!

Peggy said...

Okay, listen. I know that you're a busy mom-of-three and doting wife but seriously. You have GOT to update this blog more than once a week. Clearly, I seem to have nothing better to do than blog-stalk my friends and I need some fresh material. You're killing me.

--P-Shizzle

Jami said...

I know, I know, leave me alone. I've been at an all-time low on good ideas to blog about. Seriously, I was going to blog yesterday about how my computer was starting to smell like it was on fire. But then I realized, that's all I've got. That was it. It doesn't smell like it's burning anymore, so . . . yeah. You can see my dilemma. I'm working on it, though.