Friday, February 22, 2008

Why does everything taste better frozen?


Okay, so I've discovered a very strange phenomenon involving my freezer. No, it doesn't magically produce German Chocolate Cake Ice Cream upon request . . . although if it did, I would be a much happier (albeit larger) woman.

Here is what I've found: tons of food actually taste better frozen. And not the things you'd expect, like, say, ice cream sandwiches or fruit smoothies. Years ago my sister Nicole showed me how Hostess snacks (you know, Ding Dongs and Twinkies) taste much better if you throw them in the freezer for a couple of hours. In fact, I never even liked Twinkies very much until I was shown this clever little technique.

Well, now I'm beginning to find that the frozen factor works on a variety of baked goods. A few weeks ago I was forced into making some banana bread by some bananas who were threatening a full-scale rotten revolt. I really didn't want to make the aforementioned banana bread, though, because of a pre-existing condition I happen to have. It's called "If it's something sweet, and it's in my house, I will eat it" disorder. So after making the bread, I gave away a few loaves, let the fam eat some, and put the rest in the freezer so I wouldn't eat it all that day.

Today, when I pulled a loaf of the banana bread out, I found that you can totally cut it into slices right from the freezer, and it is DELICIOUS. I was ready to devour the whole loaf. I didn't. (But only because the kids were watching. It's harder to get away with stuff like that now that they've gotten older.)

Other food items that adhere to this mysterious anomaly are cake, chocolate chip cookies, M&Ms (but not Snickers . . . unless you want to chip a tooth), chocolate chips, sugar cookie or other varieties of cookie dough (roll into a tube and wrap in saran wrap, like you're going to just slice them off to cook later, but actually just eat raw . . . no one will ever know), and any Little Debbie snack items.

What I have learned from all of this, though, is that now not even my freezer is a safe haven to store food I know I shouldn't eat. Sigh . . .

11 comments:

Amanda said...

We have also discovered this! We do this with cupcakes since it's dangerous to have two dozen sitting around our house. Sadly, I have learned that they taste better frozen sometimes. As does the orange pound cake that I cubed and froze because I didn't think we would eat it fast enough. Hmm...I wonder if there's anything left in there that I can eat after I put the kids to bed...

Jenni said...

Twinkies are better frozen?!?! Is it even possible? I can admit it...My name is Jenni and I'm addicted to Twinkies. This is bad news....

Jami said...

No, it's so true. They don't freeze all the way; they just become more solid. Seriously so good.

By the way, love the new pic. What happened to the American Woman?

Peggy said...

Wait, you had extra banana bread and didn't call me? We might be fighting. ;o)

Jenni said...

Just got tired of it. Time for a change, I guess.

Was trying to remember being thin and blonde....Ha, ha.

Jenni Coberly said...

Three words...Frozen Vanilla Zingers!! Enough said.

Jenni said...

Just wanted you to know...

Froze a Twinkie today. (It was my last one, so it took some serious will power to wait for the dumb thing to freeze. Yes, my evil husband bought me a box of Twinkies a couple of days ago....and today, I was down to one....I digress.)

Pretty good! Although, clearly, I'll eat them any way I can get them.

Laura F said...

Jenni, have you tried them deep fried? (as long as the subject is unhealthy foods anyway, why stop with freezing them?) Sorry to digress from the blog, but I've been so curious about this. I haven't tried them personally... but I thought by your last comment you might be able to enlighten me on this "state far" phenom. :-)

Jami said...

Jen, I'm proud of your will power because seriously, the only way I could have waited to eat it would have been by finding something substitute to eat in the mean time.

I have heard about the deep frying thing where people deep fry candy bars and other weird things, but I personally haven't tried them. I have this aversion to things soaked in oil. You know, as you can tell from my posts on this blog, I'm just trying to keep things healthy . . .

Jenni said...

No aversion to deep frying here. I have not, however, ever tried the deep fried Twinkie. (Aren't they pretty much deep fried to begin with?)

I do miss living in Stockton, CA, where they had the annual Asparagus festival. That deep fried asparagus was to DIE for.

Debra Darling said...

Last summer I froze some cake mix cookies. It was so stinkin' hot and I was so large that I didn't want a hot cookie. They were so YUMMY--frozen.