Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Things Left Behind

Almost 8 years ago, we moved to Greenville, North Carolina. When we first got there, I was horribly homesick, and the great adventure of moving across the country had lost its novelty during those first few months. I had a new baby, for the first time in my life I wasn't working or in school, I didn't know anyone, and I had no family nearby.

North Carolina felt like an entirely new culture . . . one that I really didn't understand. And forget trying to figure out how to get around out there. Roads and streets are all named (not numbered), and they loop and circle crazily about, sometimes crossing back over streets that they previously ran parallel to. I literally felt lost there.

And to make matter worse, we moved there in the dead of summer. The humidity was so stifling, I felt like I couldn't breathe. I won't talk about what it did to my hair.

But then, of course, I started making friends. And then I began to figure out how to get around. I got a job teaching a couple of nights at the community college (and discovered yet another new culture). I got used to things that seemed so strange at first, and I began to fall in love with our new home.

Now we're back in Utah, something I dreamed about for seven years, and I realize how much I miss about North Carolina. I never thought I would feel homesick for Greenville, but there are many days when I wish I could go back . . . at least for a visit.

Things I miss about NC:
  • The mild, mild winters where usually a warm jacket is enough. I didn't have a constant fear that my children were going to freeze in the night, and it only snowed maybe once a year . . . just an inch or so, for fun.
  • When it did snow, everything shut down or was canceled -- school, church, meetings that were unnecessary in the first place, work, you name it. And everyone freaked out and bought out all of the milk, bread, and eggs at the stores. I loved it.
  • The way complete strangers call you 'sweetie,' 'hon,' and 'sugar.'
  • Being only an hour away from the beach. Sigh . . .
  • Being only 4 or 5 hours from Washington, DC -- one of my all-time favorite cities.
  • Going to pig-pickins (for non-locals, that's a BBQ where a whole pig is cooked in this huge grill thing that looks a lot like a barrel on its side)
  • How adults are called Miss or Mr. [insert first name] by those who are younger than they are. I really liked that sign of respect without the formality of going by last names. For example, my kids called our neighbor 'Miss Larrie.'
  • Wearing sandals almost all-year round. It did actually get cold in the winter, but the winters are pretty short, and I could get away with not having to wear socks for most of the year.
  • Low cost of living -- our mortgage was almost 1/3 of what we pay here (and we only gained about 400 sq. feet here!)
  • Our bishop. Totally inspiring man, plus he had the greatest NC accent. I could listen to him talk forever.
  • Our running route. We could go right outside our door and run through the greatest neighborhood (with no hills!) for any variety of miles we wanted to go.
  • The trees that went on forever. Going down the freeway, you would be surrounded by walls of trees on both sides. So cool.
  • Going on girls' weekends at the beach house (thanks Amy!)
  • The gentleness and warmth of the people.
  • All the friends and wonderful people we met while we were there. I miss them so much--I just wish I could have taken them with me.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Isn't that the truth. We've only been here in England for six months, but we're really sad to be going home, especially to that cold weather.

Of course we have to leave now that we have a lot of friends and now that we've figured out how to drive on the other side of the road.

I'm planning on writing a similar post about the things I will and won't miss about this place.

Thanks for sharing. But honestly, I'm glad you're back in Utah.

Jami said...

Me, too. And I can't wait for you to be back!

Jenni said...

Isn't that just how it is....just when you're feeling pretty well adjusted - time to change!

I like the idea of listing things you miss about NC...I'll have to follow Amanda's lead and do the same.

Joella Hancock Morris said...

NC misses you, too!

I'm so glad you're doing a blog! I keep meaning to start one but I never quite get to it. You can look at Aly's or Emily's and get little updates on us until then (www.thedartfamily.blogspot.com or www.grantnelson.blogspot.com)

For a quick update - I just had another baby! Charlie is 3 weeks old, and the best baby ever. The other kids are growing like weeds - Jacy is already in kindergarten, and Riley will be next year, Zoey thinks she should be in school, too. James is almost through with school - just dissertation left.

I'll check back in with you later.

Joella Hancock Morris said...

Jami -- You go blogger girl. How's Ellis? We miss you and can't wait to visit again soon.

James

Jami said...

James and Joella! You guys are what I miss about North Carolina!

Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter said...

You know you wouldn't be so home sick if you lived closer to us.

Jami said...

Or perhaps if you lived closer to us . . .

DanaLee said...

I shouldn't say it, but I can't resist. I TOLD YOU SO!