Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Free for All

Okay, how pathetic is it that I haven’t blogged since the last FFA post? Seriously, my week has been so crazy, that I’ve had to completely neglect my blogging commitments altogether. I’m hoping to be back on the wagon this next week.

So here it is – FFA topic of the week: What is the worst thing you ever did to your siblings? What is the worst thing one of your siblings ever did to you?

My sisters are 5 and 8 years older than me, and believe me, when I was younger, that felt like a big difference. And while I’m sure there was continual torment of the younger siblings, one particular episode stands out in my mind. The details are a bit vague, but it involved Nicole and Joey sitting on Cody and me and giving us melvins (Bliss lingo for “wedgies”). Every time Cody and I tried to crawl out of the living room with a shred of our underwear still tucked in our pants, they kept dragging us back in for more. I remember it felt like it went on for hours while they laughed hysterically at our efforts to escape their demonic torture.

As for my own brand of torment, I don’t think I did any one thing that was so terrible, but rather an accumulation of the small and annoying.

Joey was always wanting to beat me for sneaking into her closet and borrowing her clothes without asking. Hey, it’s not my fault she had much better style than I did. I figure, she was just asking for a groupie (who liked to borrow her clothes).

Cody’s personal hell were all the over-turned cups he’d find all over downstairs where I’d imprisoned a variety of spiders and crickets for him to kill. I just couldn’t bring myself to ever do it, and if he wasn’t home, I’d just save them for him to kill when he did get home.

TJ, poor TJ. Being the youngest of the brood, he really got the brunt of it. I think I considered him my personal servant for most of his youth. If I’d given him a dime for every glass of water, snack, Kleenex, pillow, or blanket I made him run fetch for me, well, . . . . let’s just say the indentured servant situation was a much better financial deal for me.

9 comments:

Jenni said...

The glass of water bit cracks me up. It is actually a running joke in the Walton house.

Once, rather frustrated at his lack of significant contribution in the "household job" arena, Lisa and I asked Scott, "Exactly, what jobs DO YOU DO around the house?"

His response, "I do all kinds of stuff for Mom. Like....getting her glasses of water and stuff."

Sounds like it is a common youngest child problem.

Glad you're back on the blog. Missed you like crazy. (I'm singing in my head....)

Jenni Coberly said...

That was fun to read. I could picture it all!! It even made me picture your old houses basement....I could even smell the wood burning stove. :) Good times!!

Jenni Coberly said...

I'm thinking I used the word "even one too many times" in that last comment. Hey, I'm tired alright!!

Jenni Coberly said...

My misuse of quotation marks in my second comment is just embarrassing. I'm not commenting anymore!! AHHHH!!

Peggy said...

Okay, why did I never think of hiding bugs under cups? for heck's sake! That would have solved a lot of my early childhood problems!!

Jenni Coberly said...

Okay, once a week isn't that pathetic, but when we wait for that once a week goodness, you go and disappoint. What's up!! :)

The Teej said...

TRUTH!!!
-the indentured servant

Blissman said...

Wow, this could be something like what was happening in Austria, just a different measure of torture! What wood burning stove? Really was it all that bad after I got the smoke to clear out?

Jami said...

Dad, don't you remember how the kids at school would ask me why I smelled like a campfire? (Maybe I'll have to blog about how my parents tortured me growing up . . .)