Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I demand Poetry!

In honor of National Poetry month, I thought I'd post a few of my favorite poems. If I can find them, I'll also post a few from my high school days written by some friends of mine. Jenni Walton-Cragun (as I like to think of her) came up with a few gems when we were learning masculine and feminine rhyme scheme during AP English. I'll see what I can find, but until then, you'll have to be satisfied with these poems by a somewhat more well-known crowd.


"Credo" by Jack London

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.


"Cow Poetry" by Gary Larsen


"Metaphors" by Sylvia Plath

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Are you kidding me?!?! You actually have some of our love square poetry? Oh. My. Gosh.

I'll add to the list of favorites a little ditty written by a poor, friendless, chilled boy....

I like frogs.
They live on great big logs.
They jump high.
Up, up in the sky.
I wish I could jump high like a frog.

Jami said...

I admit to nothing . . . at least until I find them (I remember seeing them a few years ago, but seriously, who knows where they could be now. I do, however, still have some pretty good notes from Music 101 . . .

Great poem, by the way. Do I know this poor, chilled poet?

Jenni said...

Cypher in the Snow.

It was Mike Richey's favorite.

Jami said...

I totally forgot about that! I may be laughing on the outside, but I am crying on this inside. Now if we could just watch "The Mailbox," too . . . Ruthie!