Sunday, May 4, 2008

I Can't Wait Until I'm 8



Well, it finally happened. I have a kid old enough to be baptized! Which, of course, means that I'm old enough to have a kid old enough to be baptized. Larrin was baptized and confirmed yesterday afternoon, and the whole weekend proved to be a pretty emotional one for me. All of our family on both sides (who live in the state . . . and few who don't) were there, and we felt so blessed to have such love and support from them.



Grandma Jensen made Larrin this beautiful baptism cake. She is amazingly talented. (Can you see the River Jordan and John baptizing Jesus on the top?)



Papa Bliss was one of the witnesses, and Nana was our chorister.



Grandpa Jensen was the other witness, and Grandma gave the opening prayer.


The stake assigned us to do a musical number, and I couldn't believe our luck at having Cody and Kristy's family there this weekend so they could participate. Larrin's cousins Addison and Kennedy are her same age, so this is a big baptism year for our family. We put together a medley for the baptism of "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" (Larrin's favorite) and "How Will They Know?" (my favorite). The three girls sang the first part, and then their moms (Kristy, Joey, and I) sang "How Will They Know?"



Kristy and Joey's amazing vocal talents really made the song so beautiful.



And, of course, Peggy was there bearing flowers and gifts, as only Peggy would do. Larrin would still rather live at her house than ours.



Fate seemed to be with us for this baptism. Not only did we get Cody and Kristy's family (see chunky baby Ava above), but it also happened to be the day before Alyssa left for China! Larrin was so happy she got to be there.

Overall, it was an amazing day. I can't believe how lucky we are to have a daughter like Larrin who has made such good choices and has such a beautiful spirit. She bore her testimony today in Sacrament meeting about how she felt when she got baptized, and I was thinking, "Where did this kid come from? How in the world did I deserve her?" I'm just so thankful she is in my life and for the example she is to her two little sisters.

5 comments:

The Teej said...

It's times like these that make us wish we weren't so stinkin' far away and help us realize that the real "Good Life" isn't in Nebraska after all.

Jenni said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day! Congrats to Larrin and the rest of you!

Amanda said...

She is beautiful! Congrats on your wonderful day.

I don't know what you're talking about. I know I'm definitely not old enough to have an 8 year old child. You must be really old!

Dennis said...

Is there any leftover cake?

Jenni Coberly said...

Congrats to Larrin! What a beautiful girl!! Morganne gets baptized in December. It does seem so strange to have a child old enough. I remember my baptism so well. It's scary that they are old enough to remember things really well. It makes me want to do and be better. So much fun that you were surrounded by so much family. What a blessing.