Thursday, January 15, 2009

It understands me


Okay, so I'm trying not to panic here, but I've recently discovered that there is no chocolate in my house.

[Waiting for reaction]

Did you hear me? I said NO chocolate. None. No more leftover Christmas candy, no more Hershey Kisses that I had stashed away in a drawer that I lovingly chose not to share with anyone else in my family. (It will rot their teeth. I'm just thinking of them.) No bag of mini-Kisses that were supposed to be for chocolate chip cookies, were I to make some. No box of 100 calorie chocolate shortbread cookies (apparently, the 100 calories is only significant if you eat 1 bag at a time).

But see, here's the problem. I can't really make anything chocolate because Ellis and I are trying to eat healthier right now [snickering . . . what Ellis doesn't know won't hurt him . . . ] So I can't just have a chocolate cake or cookies lying around the house. That would totally defeat his our goal.

Sigh. It's just hard to be responsible for your family when you really have no interest in doing it for yourself.

8 comments:

Ryan and Heather Moss said...

Hilarious! Is every mom so self-sacrificing for her family that she has her own secret stash? I know I do. Love the picture at the top by the way.

Amanda said...

When we were still in NC, I bought a ton of chocolate when the other ward did that chocolate order. (Did they do that when you lived there?) I ended up with 12 1/2 pounds of chocolate chips, 6 pounds of chocolate baking disks and 5 pounds of cocoa powder. I'm pretending that it's food storage, so no one is allowed to eat it. Really, though, it is my secret stash. Maybe you could employ the same technique - call it food storage and then you HAVE to have it around the house. Just make your chocolate chip cookies with a little bit of wheat flour and presto! Chocolate is back on the healthy list!

Jami said...

Wait, how did I miss the big chocolate sale?? Did you know about this, too, Heather? I feel betrayed that I wasn't in on it.

Jenni said...

A ward chocolate order?!?! Dang! That totally beats wrapping paper and red wheat.

Amanda said...

Amen, sista! Just be thankful you're not in England where you can get the best chocolate in the world.

You know, I didn't use to love chocolate. It's only been since I had children that I've craved for it nightly. For that reason, I blame my children for making me that way, and my husband for getting me pregnant with those children. And because it's their fault, they know that every piece of chocolate in the house has my name on it. It's off limits to everyone else.

It's in that desperate situation, when you just have to hop in the car and find a gas station drive through. But we don't live in SF anymore, unfortunately (because of the drive throughs) and fortunately (because it's SF), so drive throughs are harder to find. I've found one drive through that is just a five minute drive from my house that I can always rely on in times of desperate measure. I'm sure you'll do the same.

Jamie said...

The exact same thing happened to me this week! I went in to get some leftover Christmas Dove chocolates from my "secret" stash in the loaf pan behind the blender on the lazy susan in the corner cupboard down by the stove where my kids have never even thought to look - and I realized I was out! Not to worry (I thought) I can always just break open a bag of chocolate chips... except I was out of those to. I really started to panic when I realized my car was in the shop and I had no way to get to a store! It as about then that I remembered the double chocolate fudge ice cream in the freezer outside, thank heavens!

The Bliss Bouquet said...

I had to make sure that I was well stocked this week. Cody is also out of town this week till Thursday, pm. I realized that this little "pick-me-up" strategy is 1) a beautiful thing, and 2) the very reason I hang on to baby weight till after the little one is 1 yr. Where is Ellis' interview? and WHY don't we live by each other???

Bridian said...

Haha, I love reading your blog!!