Monday, January 12, 2009

So this is why I never do Spring Cleaning . . .


So I've now spent most of the weekend cleaning blinds, walls, baseboards, doors, and organizing rooms. Why would I subject myself to such misery, you may ask? Look, I like a clean house as much as the next person. But this deep cleaning and scrubbing is just not my thing.

And seriously, after all the blinds I've cleaned, I realize now why the last time I cleaned those blinds was . . . hmmm, well, let's see . . . I can't quite remember . . . um, I'll have to get back to you on that one . . . but if I were judging from the layers like you would do to determine the age of a tree, hypothetically, of course, I'd have to guess 3 years (which is when we first hung them up).

Well, anyway, we've decided to sell our house. That's right, we've given up on getting to stay here in the ol' home state. Ellis has a bunch of job interviews that are for schools out of state, and since they all start in August of this year, we thought we'd better get a jump on selling the house.

But you know, while I was cleaning all those wretched blinds and walls, I just kept thinking how I wished I was curled up somewhere reading a book and neglecting, well, pretty much everything else. And that made me think about all the crappy things we have to do as adults that we'd really rather not be doing.

Things I Should Do____________Things I'd Rather Do

Clean the blinds............................Let the blinds gather an inch-thick dust layer
Wash the dishes...........................Leave them in the sink and go watch 30 Rock
Make dinner.................................Eat cold cereal
Go for a run.................................Stay in my warm, comfortable bed
Get the kids ready for school..........See Above
Go to bed early............................Stay up blogging or watching SNL with Ellis
Sweep........................................Get family to stop dropping things
Get kids ready for bed...................Go to bed myself
Eat healthy snacks........................Make repeated trips to the bag of choco chips
Go grocery shopping......................Have a root canal

So, I think I mostly fall somewhere in between these two columns on any given day (some days leaning more severely to the right . . .), but what about the rest of you? I know I'm not the only one out there. 'Fess up. What are some things you do instead of what you know you should be doing?

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm forever starting projects when I can't be bothered to clean up my kitchen (or the rest of my house, for that matter). Rob finally called me on it one day when I had time to make a little quilt top but couldn't get the kids dressed, wash the dishes, prepare supper, or do anything else that day. But I had time to make that little quilt - isn't that great? Now I at least pretend to get the work done before I pull out a project. And, for the kids' sake, I pretend that cleaning is just so fun. Maybe one day - if I keep it up - they'll decide to join in and maybe pick up their own socks. That way I can get to my projects faster!

Jenni said...

Aw, man! You're leaving?!

Jami said...

Amanda, I love it! That's totally how I feel most days. Okay all days.

And Jen, find Ellis a job here, and we'll gladly stay (just preferably not in the fast-food industry.)

Jenni said...

I'll find one for Ellis as soon as I find one for Matt. Unemployment is the best!

Jenni Coberly said...

At the top of my list is eating Bunny Tracks ice cream while watching tv...that can be filled in for what I would rather be doing...anytime!!

So, any job interviews in Denver? You would LOVE it here!! I promise!!

regina said...

jami... cleaning yuk! there are better things to do than than scrubbing the blinds. where is our fairy godmother to wave her wand and make everything clean... well, i guess that would be hiring a cleaning lady. oh, well, never will happen here.

Amanda said...

Neglect my duties as a wife and mother? Never! Oh wait, I just got back from doing that. I left Clark to get the kids bathed and to bed, while I went to the library to get a new book. And yes, I stayed there and even read a couple of chapters. But mostly I watch shows (I only have about seven).

I can't believe you're leaving, and we haven't even gotten together to do anything. Alright, we have to at least get together for lunch or dinner. At least you, me, and Jenni, and anyone else you want to invite. You decide when and where. Let me know. I'll even let you order chocolate for dessert.